April 12, 2010

"A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great work requires reflection, to appreciate it"


JC/Alchemist Essay Reflection

Ideas and Content

I feel that my writing in both my Alchemist and Julius Caesar essays expresses appropriate ideas and content, yet I see the latter to have a better quality of content and ideas. In the Alchemist essay, I feel that I did not so well on the ways that I developed my ideas. In the comments section of the essay my teacher wrote that “The content is not developed” and I totally agree with that looking back on it. The reason that my content was not developed was because I stated the problem or event and explained why I chose it. I then left it alone, when really I should have explained to the reader how it relates back to the topic/event/problem. Yet on the Julius Caesar essay, I feel that I demonstrated more appropriate content because the rubric for the JC essay says that “Content is well developed, quality support outweighs generalities”. This shows that after finding out how do develop my ideas and content, I can improve, if anything, slightly.


Organization

My writing in both of the essays shows adequate organization for the topics. In the Alchemist essay, I relied on a formula too much to make the essay. Most if not all of my transitions followed a pattern of ‘first, second, third’. I also had errors in the sentence structure that I couldn’t pick up. I have not improved on both of these aspects for the JC essay, where I had more of a repeat of anything else. Therefore I feel that I need to work on how I review how I did on written essays. The first time I failed to spot my weaknesses and that hurt me the second time around.


Personal Growth

The main (if only) improvement between my two essays was the content and ideas. I improved how I tied in my statements back into the idea, yet there is still more to go. That gave me a small increase in my grade which I am happy with. Both of the essays showed no improvement in the organization, so I will try to do more about that for the future.


SLR Reflection

In the Alchemist essay I used the SLR of learning enthusiastically to go back in with the teachers to gather feedback and apply it to the essay even outside of the allotted time they had for us. For the Alchemist essay, we had over a month to make it. The teachers were available for feedback at lunchtimes and I took that opportunity to make my essay better.


Image taken from:

http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/archives/physics5B08/hand_with_sphere_large.jpg

No comments: