March 29, 2010

Helping the Lost Boys of Sudan



Think Creatively!


My collage has several creative elements that I like. One of them is the picture of the refugee camp which is torn down the middle. I did this to show that the Lost Boys were still in distress even after they were relocated in the refugee camp. This reflects how some of the Lost Boys have post traumatic stress disorder. Another creative part of my collage is the pictures that hang off the side. I did this to show that some of the Lost Boys are having trouble “hanging on” to life in America, where they found out that it is not always heaven on earth.


Reason Critically!

I used my memoir (text) to show that I understand the lost boy’s situation because the memoir has concise, focused text. In the memoir I said that the lost boys have suffered for a long time then the suffering stopped, and some were finding new hope in America.

Communicate Effectively!


My collage creates awareness for the plight of the lost boys by showing the viewer how much these boys have been through through the images. For example there is a picture by one of the Lost Boys of the in which the soldiers had come to the village and were killing everyone. If this does not create awareness for the Lost Boys then I don’t know what will.


Live Ethically!

I think that my collage will create an emotional response from my viewers and provoke action from them so that they can help the lost boys of Sudan for themselves. I did this through the use of some startling and some not so startling images. Some of the images are of people dying, and there is one where an oil fire is raging. The other type of images in my collage that may incite action are the ones with suggestions on what can be done. One of these images is a picture of a salvation army bucket to show that the lost boys need donations to help them. Overall I did a nice job portraying the situation of the lost boys. Now it is your turn. Will you help them?

Image taken from:
richgerman.com

No comments: